Slide Show

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The drafts




August seems to be my month. Or better my novel month. It was last August that I finished the first draft of the second book in my trilogy and it was March when I decided to rewrite it.

I took my time, I didn’t write full time and I decided to create a new file and start writing from scratch. And I did it.

It’s August again and the second draft of my book is ready!
It’s been a hell of a ride this one, not only because I was writing on and off, but mostly because it was so much fun to rewrite this book. I felt like I was writing it for the first time, only that I knew the whole story now. Or I thought I knew it because things didn’t happen as planned. But you know that.

The story now makes more sense to me, seems more solid and I spent such a great time with those characters that I’m a bit sad to let them go.

The precious lesson I learned while rewriting this book, is that for each draft we should always create a new file. Like a clean slate. Don’t be afraid to alter and “play” with your story. Nothing really gets right the first time around, so try new things and cut out parts if you think you should.

I do need those 20.000 words I cut, but I didn’t really need them.

Cheers to new drafts! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on wrapping up the second draft! Glad it was so much fun for you, and that the story is now all that much stronger, too. And I completely agree with you about that blank slate. I often do that with my projects, and they're always better off for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! It's truly amazing how different a second draft can be. It's like a brand new story. Cheers to rewriting!

      Delete