Slide Show

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll




A couple of months ago I read Alice in Wonderland and so I had to read the sequel too. Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, is a very strange book.

'Curiouser and curiouser', I think it fits for Lewis Carroll's books and then I keep reading.

Alice is a very curious girl so she goes through the Looking glass House this time where things are reversed, time moves differently and every now and then she goes over a brook and the scenery changes completely. I loved the idea of the chess board and really looked forward to see what was going to happen upon arriving at the final step even if I knew that it would be beyond my imagination.

Alice in Wonderland and this one, are the two most chaotic and messy books I've read but I really loved reading them. They are confusing and strange like the dreams they represent. It's not that you can actually make sense of dreams, can you? Lewis's unique way of writing Alice's stories has a certain appeal to the kids and I bet it is because logic works differently when you're young and fearless.

What stood out to me in this book is that Alice doesn’t hesitate to speak her thoughts. She doesn't accept something because someone older says it's true which makes her a fun character to read. I wish I had read these books when I was a kid but it's never too late, is it?

There isn't really anything more I can say to explain my feelings about Alice's story but this:

I felt like taking a dive into a colorful sea but neither the salty water nor the colors where exactly as they were supposed to be. I swam but it was like flying and even when I was up in the sky I could feel the water on my skin.

Enjoy the quote!

"Take a bone from a dog what remains?"
Alice considered. "The bone wouldn't remain, of course, if I took it--and the dog wouldn't remain; it would come to bite me--and I'm sure I shouldn't remain!"
Then you think nothing would remain?' said the Red Queen.
"I think that's the answer."
"Wrong as usual," said the Red Queen:"the dog's temper would remain."
"But I don't see how--"
"Why, look there!" the Red Queen cried. "The dog would lose its temper, wouldn't it?"
"Perhaps it would," Alice replied cautiously.
"Then if the dog went away, its temper would remain!"the Queen exclaimed triumphantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment