Slide Show

Monday, August 12, 2013

Practice and time

When I decided to write something I could share with others, I hadn’t thought what that really meant. I had an idea, which transformed into a story and I was flying sky-high. 

I wrote Dazed, slowly, carefully, and I did my best. Well, that was the best I could do at that time because during the months of writing, I was reading, which is pretty much like studying to me. 


So, I was studying other books, other genres, other POV’s and I was learning.  I wrote draft number one, which followed by draft number two and by the time I was at number four, I thought I was heading toward the end.

Then CC came and Draft five and six were born.  Dazed was changing, reshaping and along with it,  I was changing too. The way I was thinking was different, the way I was writing was better. I was able to see those changes, to spot my weaknesses, to know what I needed to fix. I was maturing and I still am. I know I have a long way ahead of me but that’s good. I’m not afraid of the time, I’m not trembling when I read a critique. I’m anxious, I want more people to tell me theirs thoughts, I want to be better, I want to learn.

Now, I’m in the process of writing the seventh draft which includes the biggest changes. I am cutting whole chapters, I move scenes, accelerating the action. Dazed used to be above 100.000 words, but now it’s 92,290 and I’ll cut more.

So, I believe that practice and time are very important factors for us, new, inexperienced, but dreamy writers. I know I am one of them.

How about you? Do you see yourself and your writing changing over time? Share with me your experiences and thoughts.

Have a great week.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Athina! The first draft of my first book was so rough I marvel that my mom and sister had anything nice to say about it at all. Like you I was reading everything I could get my hands on and learning as fast as my brain could compute. I loved reading stories with two POV's but when I tried it, they both sounded the same! I'm still a dreamy writer, so very novice. My upcoming novel is with an editor and I want to yank it back and tell her sorry for putting her through the mess! You have a great attitude and I will try my best to channel it.

    Best of luck with draft seven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn. I do my best to be better every day. Hiring an editor is very important. I wish you the best and don't take it back. Let her work on it. She knows more than we do, right? :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. The word count for the first draft of The Road Taken was 110,000 but now it's currently at 92,000. But I'm still cutting unnecessary stuff. My writing has changed over time. Sometimes I visit my first draft and I'd be like, "Did I write that?"

    CC is a great place to be. And I have you to thank for introducing me to that critique site.

    As always, I wish you the best, Athina. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaykay.
      I know what you mean. I cut 15.000 words and I keep cutting. I don't know yet where I will stop, but I have to admit I feel good.
      I am reshaping my story and I like it. I hope the result will be better. :)

      I wish you the best too. The Road Taken is very good from what I've read. Keep writing.

      Delete