Slide Show

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Host

Today I want to talk about The Host by Stephenie Meyer. As you can see, at the end of the page I have the review I had written for Goodreads and if you have read it, you will know how much I love this book. With few words, The Host, describes the invasion of aliens on earth, but it has nothing to do with other books with aliens. This book can stick in your head.


The reader watch two lives collide in the same body, as the intruder, a soul named Wanderer, is trying to take Melanie’s life. And I am thinking now…if we could imagine Wanderer like a problem we face, isn’t that something we deal in our everyday life? We live our lives and some day, some time; something is coming to the surface and consumes us. At that moment on, we are called to learn and live with it, or we fight it. Like Melanie did refusing to let herself extinct that easy. So, let’s say we fight, we find strength and will and we struggle as long as it takes until we get rid of that problem. Many times we have to struggle with ourselves since we are the ones who create the problem all along, or we have to make peace with ourselves first, before we start dealing with the problem. Is this too far from the actual fight inside Melanie’s body?

And going on further…which are the possibilities of a fight like that? Either we let the problem cover us and we are miserable, or we take the problem and we shift it, we move it until we can control it and find a way to overthrown it. Like Melanie…she started flooding Wanderer’s mind with the image of the man she was in love with and with time feelings started growing inside Wanderer’s heart.

So, in a very free translation, I can say that this book, despite a beautiful read, speaks in your heart, making you reconsider your priorities and makes you see a piece of yourself in it. I don’t know what Meyer had in her mind while she was writing this book but I can say for sure that this is her best for me, because it has a strong and powerful story, perfect characters which you love, but above all, it keeps your mind spinning. 

7 comments:

  1. This is one of my re-read books always ready to wash away a bad book. Great discussion on The Host.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is indeed a book that you can definitely read re-read it as many times as you want.

      Delete
  2. Hi, A. I've had this book for a very long time now but I'm hesitating to read it. I don't know why. I've read all The Twilight books.
    Recently, I saw a movie trailer of The Host on Youtube and I started to have an interest in the book.
    Now, with your post, I think I'm hooked. I'll read it soon and I hope I enjoy it like you and Robyn did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard this again, people hesitating to read this book. Yes, there might be some weird names on it, but if you rule that out the rest is amazing. I say you give it a try.

      Delete
  3. great review, nice to know this is a completely new thing for Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is different from the Twilight saga and I enjoyed it much more. I totally recommend it!
      Thanks for stopping by and making a comment too. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey thегe Ӏ ɑm sо excited Ι fօսnd your site, I really found уօu
    by mistake, wҺile I was browsing ߋn Yahoo fօr ѕomething еlse, Αnyhow I am here
    now and աould ʝust likke to ѕay many thanks for a incredble post and ɑ all round exciting blog (Ӏ
    also love thee theme/design), ӏ don’t hɑve time to read іt all
    at thee minute Ƅut I havе saved it and also aԁded in your RSS feeds,
    so when I hаve timme I wіll Ƅе back to read ɑ lot morе, Pleasе do keeρ up the superb work.


    Ϻy weblog xtreme muscle pro (xtrememusclepro.info)

    ReplyDelete